In today’s world smartphones have made it easier than ever to check your email. At any point throughout the day, you probably receive at least five emails from businesses marketing to you. How many of you just delete the emails unless the subject line captures your attention enough to open them? The answer is probably a lot of you. This is why email subject lines are so important.
What Is Email Marketing?
Let's first talk about what email marketing is. Email marketing is sending commercial emails to a list of contacts who have given their permission to receive email communications from you. Essentially it is a way to communicate with your company’s clients.
For ten years in a row, email has generated the highest ROI for marketers. For every $1 spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI and gives marketers the broadest reach of all the channels available to them. Despite the plethora of tools available to marketers, email marketing is simply the best bet for business growth.
Understanding The Importance Of Subject Lines
The subject of an email is like the cover of a book or the headline of an article. You have to compel your reader to click and start reading—otherwise, your coupons, links, and other content will head straight to the trash.
Just as with most digital content, a subject line should strike a balance between informative and intriguing, inducing people to click without over or under-promising what’s inside. Those that don’t accurately represent what’s inside will be judged accordingly: 69% of email recipients report email as spam based on subject lines alone.
A powerful, funny, or otherwise interesting subject line is essential.
Mistakes To Avoid
- Writing The Whole Email In The Subject Line: Your subject line is not meant to say everything that you are including in the email.
- Creating Clickbait: There is enough clickbait around the internet, so we do not need it in our inboxes as well.
- Using A Meaningless Word Like ‘Hey’: You have a limited amount of space with subject lines don’t waste your space with words that don’t hold a lot of value.
How To Make Your Subject Lines Better
- Keep It Brief: Subject lines need to quickly grab the recipient’s attention. It’s estimated that subject lines with 50 characters or less result in 12% higher open rates and 75% higher click-through rates than emails with longer subject lines. The takeaway? Keep it less than 50 words and focus on quickly putting your best foot forward.
- Pique Interest: Subject lines have to be interesting and unique. Stay away from over-used words and clichés, and try to present your audience with a hook that captures their attention and incentivizes them to learn more by opening the email.
- Offer Value: The best subject lines communicate the promise of value. In other words, your subject line has to convince the recipient that the email contains information or messaging that will improve their lives and/or their businesses.
- Build Trust: Trustworthiness is a priority for brands that understand the importance of subject lines. The information contained in your email should be consistent with the promise you make in the subject line. Also, it’s critical to make sure that your subject line is free of spelling or grammatical errors to preserve credibility with your audience.
Connect with InnerAction Media Today!
At InnerAction Media, we lead you through the entire strategy––from buyer personas, to marketing blueprints, and with our team of highly-trained SEO specialists, we know how to implement a successful marketing plan that generates leads, clientele, and brand awareness. When it comes to clear, effective, and creative marketing strategies, we’re here to help. Established in 2011, we’ve set ourselves apart as the go-to production and marketing agency in the North Central region of West Virginia.
Contact InnerAction Media today, and let us help you tell your story.